Nagging cough? Scratchy throat?
The answer for cold and flu season might already be in your pantry. For years, people have used honey as a natural cough suppressant. Compared to other over-the-counter solutions, honey contains one ingredient: honey. Penn State College of Medicine research shows that honey is an effective and natural alternative to over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicine. As little as one to two teaspoons can help ease and soothe the irritation caused by a cough.
Honey Cough Syrup from the National Honey Board
Zest of 2 lemons = 1 ½ tablespoons
¼ cup peeled, sliced ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup lemon juice
In a small saucepan, add lemon zest, sliced ginger and 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes and then strain into a heat-proof measuring cup. Rinse the saucepan out and pour in 1 cup of honey. On low heat, warm the honey, but do not allow it to boil. Add the strained lemon/ginger water and the lemon juice. Stir the mixture until it forms a thick syrup. Pour into a clean jar and seal with a lid.
Note: This can be refrigerated for up to 2 months.
• For children* ages, 1 to 5, use ½ -1 teaspoon every 2 hours
• For children* ages, 5 to 12, use 1-2 teaspoon every 2 hours
• For children* 12 and older and adults use 1 to 2 tablespoons every 4 hours
You can also add Honey Cough Syrup to the following to help your child* stay hydrated and suppress their cough.
• Add 1 tablespoon to 4 ounces of water and pour in a Sippy cup
• Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of Nurse Barb’s Honey Cough Syrup over sliced bananas.
• Add 1 tablespoon to ¼ cup of cream cheese and use as a spread for bread, bagels or toast.
• Add 1 to 2 tablespoons to chamomile tea to help with sleep
Honey Lemon Coughsicles
• 1/2 cup of Nurse Barb’s Honey Cough Syrup
• 1 ½ cups of water
Mix together 1/2 cup of Nurse Barb’s Honey Cough Syrup and 1 ½ cups of water. Pour into your favorite Popsicle molds or a small plastic container to freeze.
When children* are sick and coughing, it’s important to provide soothing liquids to coat both their throats and prevent dehydration. These Honey Lemon Coughsicles can help quiet a cough and keep children happily hydrated.
* Remember, honey is recommended for children after the age of one.